Centralized Laboratories in ICAR-VPKAS
Biotechnology Laboratory has been established under Crop Improvement Division of the ICAR-VPKAS. It has following facilities:
- Qiagen Tissue Lyser for high throughput DNA extraction from leaf and seed sample
- Thermal cycler for genotyping and any other related application
- Gel electrophoresis system for separation of DNA, RNA and protein
- Gel documentation system for taking high quality gel images
- Phase contrast microscope for high resolution microscopy of live sample
- Qiaxcel fragment analyzer for high throughput genotyping
- ABI 3130xl genetic analyzer for DNA sequencing and fragment analysis
- Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer for quantification of mineral ions in plant and soil sample
- Minus eighty degree refrigerator for storage of tissue sample
- Laminar Air Flow for aseptic culture of plant tissue and bacteria
- Biolistic gene gun for direct transformation of plant tissue
- Microplate spectrophotometer for colorimetric assays
- Incubator shaker for bacterial culture
Physiological Laboratory has been established under Crop Improvement Division of the ICAR-VPKAS. It has following facilities:
- Leaf Area Meter for measurement of leaf area for all crop plants.
- Basic facilities for estimation of important parameters like Membrane Stability Index (MSI), Relative Water Content (RWC), Chlorophyll content etc.
- Conductivity /pH/TDS/°C/°F meter for estimation of electrolyte leakage, pH and temperature.
Plant Pathology Laboratory
Plant Pathology Laboratory has been established under Crop Protection Division of the ICAR-VPKAS. Presently it has following facilities:
- Isolation, identification and maintenance of plant pathogens/insect pathogens.
- Artificial phenotyping for resistance to rice blast pathogens.
- Facility for mass production of important insects and bio-control agentsviz. insect predators and pathogens like Trichodermaspp., Bacillus cereus.
- Spawn (mushroom seed) production of different mushroom species viz. Agaricusbisporus, Pleurotussajor-caju, Pleurotusflorida, Hypsizygusulmarius.
- Cultivation of medicinally important mushrooms like Ganodermalucidum, Lentinulaedodes, Pleurotuseryngii, etc.
- Extraction and isolation of insect pheromones/ volatiles through Air Entrainment.
Quality (Biochemistry) Lab
The Quality (Biochemistry) Laboratory has been established under Crop Improvement Division and is having following facilities:
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)-for the Qualitative and quantitative analysis of samples for quality traits.
- Farinograph for the analysis of dough quality and properties.
- Rapid visco analyzer for the determination of pasting properties.
- Texture analyzer for the evaluation of textural properties of grain samples and food products.
- UV-VIS Spectrophotometer for colorimetric analysis
- NIR based grain analyzer for the evaluation of grain physiochemical properties.
- Semi automatic Soxlet apparatus for oil extraction.
- Cooling centrifuge for various applications
Soil Science Laboratory
Soil Science Laboratory has been established under Crop Production Division of the ICAR-VPKAS at Hawalbagh experimental Farm. Presently it has following facilities:
- UV-VIS Spectrophotometer for different colorimetric estimation like: Plant & Soil available Phosphorus, chlorophyll, various soil enzyme activities (dehydrogenase, phosphatase, arylsulphatase, β-glucosidase, urease, protease, cellulose)
- Flame Photometer for estimation of potassium and sodium
- Muffle Furnace for estimation of crude ash of plant sample
- Hot Air Oven for drying the different types of samples and glassware
- BOD Incubator for maintaining controlled condition in different enzyme bioassay
- Horizontal Shaker for extraction of nutrients from soil samples
Agricultural Chemistry & Microbiology
- Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy (AAS)-AAS vario 6 (Analytika Jena) for the determination of micronutrients, trace elements and heavy metals
- CHN Analyzer (FOSS Heraeus) for the determination of carbon, hydrogen and nitrogen
- Nitrogen Analyzer KjeltecTM 2300 (FOSS) for the determination of total nitrogen, ammoniacal nitrogen and protein content
- Flame Photometer systronics, India for the determination of potassium, calcium and magnesium
- UV-VIS Spectrophotometer for colorimetric analysis
- Phase contrast Microscope with computer Imaging system (Nikon ECLIPSE 80i) to determine the shape, size and arrangement of microbes
- Fermentor (Biotran,Germany) for the mass multiplication of microbes
- Soil DNA Extractor-Fast prep 24 (MPBIO) for the extraction of DNA & Protein
- DNA Engine Gradient (PCR) machine (Peltier Thermal cycler) for the amplification of microbial DNA/RNA
- Polymorphism Mutation detection system for microbial community analysis
- Gel Documentation system (Alpha Imager) for the visualization of DNA/RNA/Protein gel and analysis
- Refrigerated Environmental shaker-MaxQ4000 (Barnstead/Lab line, IOWA,USA) for the mass multiplication of microbes
- Plant Growth Chamber (WTB Binder, Germany) to conduct the experiments under controlled environmental conditions
- Water Bath-HAAKE SWB25 (Thermo Electron Corporation, Germany) for the extraction of DNA/ RNA/ Protein/ Enzymes
- Deep freezer (-20ºC) for the storage of microbial cultures